View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2004
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by sberlin
LimeWire 3.9.12 is released.

Changes in 3.9.12 include:
- Added workaround for faulty JIT on OSX 10.2 with Java 1.4.1. Previously TigerTree hashes were corrupted because of this bug.
Note that this bug occured only on Mac OSX 10.2. The compiled code was correct, just executed incorrectly by the Mac version of Java 1.4.1. If someone, using this OS for Java programming knows how to avoid this problem or why it occurs, it could be helpful to investigate it , because the bug does not occur when LimeWire is run in interpreted mode (-Xint) without JIT enabled.
Sam posted a bug report to Apple, but this also indicates possible unpredicable bugs elsewhere in other parts of LimeWire or in any other Java application.

The bug is isolated and reproductible with the two classes published in the GDF Files section that implement and test the "Tiger" MessageDigest,:where there's a separate extensive test class that demonstrate correct results on Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OSX 10.1, 10.3 or other versions of Java on OSX 10.2.
Shamely for OS X 19.2 i affects the latest version of Java for that platform. So this is a regression bug of Java. The precise condiions for which this bug occurs are unknown.

May be there's a way to remove some code optimizations to make the class work on Java 1.4.1/OSX10.2. For now Cryptix will be used, but it's much slower and it will require an extra JAR file.
I wrote his class, but I have no Mac OSX to investigate it.

Last edited by verdyp; May 13th, 2004 at 06:04 PM.