View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2004
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high

It's not just a question of more skins: the main issue to create WinAmp-like skins is the construction of the GUI interface, and the difficulty to refresh efficiently a completely dynamic interface. This would only be possible if the GUI was scriptable with a set of component objects. This is much development...

Some people like dynamic skins rather than just recoloring themes. Personnally I hate these skins that make the GUI difficult to use (an example of a poor GUI interface that is difficult to work with is WinDVD, where the user is always trying to guess where is the button to perform basic tasks, or where is the tiny icon that allows opening a configuration menu or show a playlist).

I much prefer a simpler and intuitive interface, with little GUI improvements, which allows performing the right thing intuitively and coherently. WinAmp has a very horrible default interface which is difficult to read, and my opinion is that iTunes or Windows Media Player come with much easier default interfaces. However they support custom themes I never use as they are so difficult to learn using.