Thread: LimeWire 3.9.10
View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2004
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

[Thanks for the earlier info Philippe, and for all your gnutella/LW work too]

Well Sam--I couldn't break 3.9.12 on OS 10.3.3. I had to give after 24 hours running wide open because after 5GB up ands 1 GB down I used up my self-imposed bandwidth for the week! 4.0 is a great improvement and ready to roll as far as I can find--congrats to all once again.

Here are the only things that still seem odd:

--the 'already-downloaded icon' doesn't pick up on tunes that get sent to the shared iTunes folder if they are manually deleted from the unshared dl folder . (Roger--I don't work with iTunes much, so this is likely to be a new user problem. Otherwise, I was impressed by how well LW integrates with iTunes). I guess keeping the Library updated is in the future plans. The recognition of files in the unshared folder does work well--thanks for that.

--the incomplete icon doesn't always sort properly when complete and sorted by Quality (it will when the sort arrow is clicked twice). Too, some search results displayed stars in the Quality column but when selected for download, the 'overwrite?' message is properly displayed and the icon updates to the 'complete' one.

--several times the Monitor showed a duplicate upload (different progress) to the same IP/vendor. Uploading the same file at the same time seemed a waste of bandwidth, so I had to kill one (the lowest) and reset the upload prefs to only allow one slot per person. Too bad--I'd like to allow more slots per person.

--Ethernet transfers are still throttled by the upload bandwidth controls. Would be good if ethernet transfers were exempt.

---I did get one hang (beachball; Activity monitor registered a hang), but LW recovered within 20 seconds. This happened during the early minutes of a download swarming from 92 sources/downloading from 10 hosts. The file downloaded correctly.

So, after abusing LW by selecting >50 files at a time to dl or resume, changing upload prefs on the fly, quickly resuming multiple searches, messing with resuming incompletes from the library, and other nasty habits, I failed to break LW. I ran out of time (and bandwidth!) to try with OS 10.2.6 or Mac OS 8.6--sorry. I grabbed a bunch of stats screenshots before I had to quit

I hope the Opensourcer and Review pages will be updated in time for Tuesday. Too bad Jens and trap_jaw aren't around for a bit to also enjoy the reactions.

Thanks. Best wishes for the release.