View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2004
Draketo, small dragon.

arne_bab is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Quote:
Originally posted by verdyp
Do you realize that, in this last sentence, you are contradicting your own position in the first paragraph, because you admit delays when downloading large files?
Yes, but only in the beginning, else I could as well say I download only with 1/3rd of the possible download-speed. THis is an issue for DSL-Users, but far more for Modem-Users. While a DSL-User often doesn't manage to max out the download-speed, the modem User does so most of the time, and when he doesn't download for 2/3rd of the time (because he's in queue) he's losing real speed (except if all others directly upload to him instead of uploading something else).

Do you mean, that every program should always keep some upload-slots reserved for currently or brief ago downloaded-files?

Quote:
My own measure for large files (videos or collections of graphics or CD images) show that this event occurs quite often, for 2/3 of attempted transfers, and for which there will never be any other source (the initial uploader may have spent much time to upload the begining of files to many candidate downloaders, without having finally uploaded at least one copy of the end-of-file fragment). If that uploader decides to stop there after uploading that file for 3 or 4 days, all this bandwidth will be lost. That's where we need a better strategy to make sure that after 2 or 3 hours of uploads, for a file that could have been uploaded directly to a single downloader, this file will have at least 1 or 2 complete mirrors on many hosts collaborating each other to terminate their partial copies.
This is only for big files, though (but true, I think).

Three Upload Queues aim mainly at making Small files more avaible.

-> put this banner into your own signature! <-
--
Erst im Spiel lebt der Mensch.
Nur ludantaj homoj vivas.
GnuFU.net - Gnutella For Users
Draketo.de - Shortstories, Poems, Music and strange Ideas.