Thread: LimeWire 4.0.2
View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2004
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by et voilà
arne, I wanted to have the confirmation from LW devs that the language used for the interface is the one that receives preferencing (normally it is, but the english windows made me wonder, I'll try the internationnal later). Yes of course the GUI is in french. BTW it connects by language not by region AFAIK. ie even if I'm in Québec I connect to lots of nodes in Europe.
Ciao
location of users in the world does not matter much here. What is used is the selected locale, that also conveys a user's cultural background, and contents that will more likely match the user's assumption.
So yes there will be a cluster between France and Québec, but this is not an exclusive preference: there are still lots of interaction with the rest of contents shared by English-speaking users, or users of other languages.
The default setting of 2 connection slots reserved with locale preferencing enabled leaves lots of place for other contents as well. But my opinion is that a country or continental region would probably work better. to get fast responses from users in the same area, if content is not a priority for a user.

Note however that the geographical location of users does not influence much the networking latency or bandwidth throughput or quality. there are many cases where users in the same country will have poor interconnections but excellent intercontinental connections. This depends mostly of the ISPs upstream bandwidth providers an their peering links. So for Western Europe, and North America, there's not a significant imporvement by restricting these users by zones. For users in Asia or Eastern Europe, language will not allow cood international or even national connections.