Thread: Ultrapeers?
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2004
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Hey Chaos--I was hoping a Linux user would respond, but in the meantime, no it doesn't look normal, but it could be if you are a major contributor. I'm assuming here that you have the tools->options-> Speed setting "Allow this client to become an Ultrapeer" checked.

If your shares are using up a lot of your upstream bandwidth, especially on startup, the code might decide the network demand is more for your files than the 6-7KB/s needed for message routing as an Ultrapeer. Ultrapeers shield the leafs from much unecessary traffic, leaving the leafs freerer to serve files. 1 ultrapeer normally services about 30 leaves, and leafs get just as good search results as ultrapeers.

btw--The if you scroll through the tools->options->bug report->sample report there should be a line that says "accept incoming this session=true" (or false). Since you serve so many files, I'm betting yours will say "true." The tools->statistics->Advanced->can also give lots more info about your connections.

Too, if demand for your shares falls, you'll probably see your client switch to Ultrapeer.

HTH until a Linux expert shows up. Cheers