Thread: Download Pop-Up
View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2004
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Download Pop-Up

Dear LW People

A few days ago, I was downloading, what I thought was, a *.wmv video clip, when I tried to view it using my Windows Media Player V9.0 I got one of those annoying download pop-ups, i.e. the ones that pretend to asked your permission to download something to your HD but will not accept "no" for an answer.

I immediately used Ctrl + Alt + Del, to abandon the "download" process and then used Ad-Aware, Nortons Antivirus and Spybot to see if anything had got onto my HD, thank goodness all three came up clean. I then deleted this video file.

The thing that worries me is that these "drive by pop-ups" are not viruses or ads, are usually hidden in web pages, but this one was in a *.wmv file, and may not be considered as threat by most protection software.

I know that LW disassembles files as they are being downloaded and can spot corrupt files. Therefore, can LW be made to spot when there is a hidden program embedded in a downloading file, which must be malicious otherwise it would not be hidden, so that I, and other users, have the opportunity to kill these downloads?

UK Bob