View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2004
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default The Patriot Act

Dear also aswell

Not being an American I ask the following question out of sheer ignorance, I thought that the American Constitution prevented Congress or the President from enacting such draconian laws.

Therefore, is it possible that such a law could, at some future date, be declared as “unconstitutional” and struck out?

Here, in the UK, the current government tried to introduce a law that would allow any government or quasi government agency the right to demand, from your ISP, your e-mails (both sent and received), surfing habits and anything else your ISP may have on their computers about you. However, this caused such an uproar from users, ISPs and even the Home Secretary's own son, who works in the computer industry, that the Home Secretary (sorry, I can’t think of the US equivalent) relented and abandoned this silly idea.

Still this "silly idea" may make a come back in some form or other.

UK Bob

PS. Most workplaces now can and do monitor their employees e-mails and downloads, especially as they can be held responsible for any action, legal or not, that the employee carries out.

Last edited by ukbobboy01; June 11th, 2004 at 11:22 AM.