View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2004
Disciple

Techwomyn is flying high
Angry 4.0.5 and SLOOOOOW downloads

Sorry in advance for a long post, but I want to provide as much information as possible.

I've been a Limewire Pro user for a couple of years now, always upgrading to the latest version when available. I currently running 4.0.5 Pro on a G3 (G4 processor upgraded) 500 mhz Pismo with 512 mb RAM. Up to this point, I've had no problems with download speeds.

I recently installed an AirPort card and put a wireless router into my home network. This I did, unfortunately, at the same time as I upgraded to 4.0.5.

But, after tons of testing, both wired and wireless and also bypassing the router and connecting directly to my ADSL "modem" as I was doing previously, I've come to the conclusion that 4.0.5 just seems slow.

For example: I find a file I want, which has perhaps 50 users sharing, and start my download. Things go well at first with me getting a decent download rate and a decent number of hosts (with my earlier version of LimeWire I'd get maybe 5-8 hosts and between 30-80 KB/s). I will get this sort of connection to begin with, but as the download progresses, the number of hosts drops and the download rate will drop to about 1 KB/s. Sometimes the number of hosts will increase, but the download rate will stay very low. I've been amazed to see that I'm downloading from as many as 5 hosts and still only getting 1-2 KB/s.

I'm using the same settings I used on the earlier version of LimeWire and after testing I know it's not my connection.

Advice please, or someone do tell me where I can download an older (earlier than 3.9) version of LimeWire...

Thanks in advance!