View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2001
Novicius

freak is flying high
Question Gnutella Technology Help!

I'm interested in figuring out how the Gnutella servents actually work (interacting with each other). I've surfed through a zillion pages (well, not exactly...) and I still can't quite grasp the ideas. I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

1. TCP/IP communication occurs between all the servents?

2. Is there a high occurence or chance of cyclic discovery or cyclic searches? (ie. I am new user A, and I connect to existing Gnutella servent B who is already connected to C and D. So i connect to B and discover C and D and they point me back at B)

3. How does the whole firewall interaction work? A sends a pull request to B (B is behind a firewall). It fails so A sends a push request to B. How does this request GET to B? Through the open ports (the message is disguised) or through an alternate means (A sends a request to C who somehow sends it to B)?

4. HTTP requests only occur for file requests and the rest (searches/discoveries) are done by TCP/IP?

These are the main issues I'm trying to resolve... thanks for ALL your help! (If these questions make no sense... please bare with me)

stan