View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2004
BoOoOo

Default Error 110 (Possibly Incompatability with NTFS) (Solved; Installer Needs Fixing)

Installer indicates "File Version: 7.4.262.0".
Language: English (US)
Version: 4.07

My four partitions are all formatted with the NTFS filesystem. I have attempted to install onto all four of them, and get the same error, first a message box saying:
"The system cannot open the device or file specified."

And then one saying:
"Error: -110 The system cannot open the device or file specified." with the title "Feature Transfer Error".

This happens just as the panel showing file installation progress appears, and before anything moves. There is the slight pause expected with any installer, and then this error message which is unexpected.

I have encountered this error before, and fixed it by then installing onto a FAT32 partition ... both of those have been since reformatted. This occured only with old software that I would not expect to support NTFS. LimeWire's new and I believe that it should.

Interestingly, I previously installed versino 3.8.11 International (in French) onto a FAT32 partition, and copied it to a NTFS partition before formatting the other two. It works fine from the NTFS partition.

Now, it just occured to me to see if the new International Version would install ... and it does, and runs nicely, and I did it all while in the process of writing this message. The English-only Version for Windows does not install on a NTFS partition, though the International Version, installing English, works just fine. Somebody should take a look at this.