View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2001
Vinnie

Onflow is designed to allow rich multimedia presentations using very small pieces of downloaded content. In less memory, Onflow banners produce more entertaining and visually exciting effects than animated .gif files or Flash files.

Yes, the purpose behind Onflow is to get a better rate from advertisers, since rich media is proven to be more effective in generating click throughs and increasing brand awareness. Bundling Onflow with BearShare is a great move, since it keeps BearShare free, it allows BearShare.Net to have interactive rich media presentations (some in the form of ad banners, and some just for fun), and it does not require installation in order to use BearShare.

That having been said, let me address the issue of privacy. The Onflow technology was carefully evaluated, and a conclusion was reached that it is not in the best interests for Onflow to collect any objectionable information about users in any way.

Why? Because if they did engage in such activities and got discovered, the resulting bad publicity would lead to a widespread de-installation of the plugin. Without the plugin installed, no impressions are generated and therefore, no revenue. So they have a very strong incentive to go through great lengths to respect privacy. Considering the history of other companies that have tried to go down that road, as the ones you mentioned, I strongly doubt that consumers would tolerate an invasion of privacy if it were discovered. Thanks to the efforts of people like Steve Gibson, we have a good body of resources for identifying the real troublemakers as opposed to those doing honest, legitimate business.

The reporting system used by the plugin is absolutely no different than the regular banners which appear on a web page. Every web site maintains visitor logs, and link exchange / affiliate banner programs all pool information about visitors together. The plugin reports the same information that a web log reports, including which banners you saw, how long you remained on the page, and whether or not you clicked. The difference is that these banners can be entertaining and interactive, and help keep good software free.

I'm not sure about your motives in raising this issue. Perhaps they are genuine; but I all to consider the relevancy of these comments, and whether or not there is a real problem versus an imagined one.