View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2001
vehicle peril.png

The problem is twofold.

1) The notion of invisible data sying and browser "enhancement" seems to be counter to the entire spirit that spawned the p2p phenomenon in the first place. Ask any random Gnutella client user, "HEY! You want to be able to view web banners with NEW and EXCITING effects in less memory than flash or gifs? And, do you want to download a bunch of system patches to enable it? And do you want to let us collect data about you while you view?" And they will tell you to go take a flying leap.

2) Disingenuousness
Most were aware of this Onflow stuff until some tenacious whistleblowers started making explicit what was previously several levels deep at the BearShear site. In fact, people started reporting download/install errors with the word "Onflow" in them, and Vinnie responded saying only that these were benign errors and to ignore them. What this means is that Bear Share appears as if they are willing to deceive users (though strictly speaking the info was there... but only in a CYA sense.) and therefore users may not trust Bear Share going forward.

This is unfirtunate on the whole because so much about Bear Share, the technology, has been done well; it looks like a piece which was engineered with some love for the space. By way of contrast, the notion of collecting money via banner adverts is ineffective at best, certainly rather archaic by now. Research shows that people now automatically tune out that familiar banner-sized rectangular aspect, even if it is not a banner at all. Myself, I can count the number of banners I have clicked on in the last few years on one hand. So... where the implementation of the technology looks to be creative and passionate, the implementation of strategy seems to be formulaic and cynical. What is the disconnect here? Feels like a marketing department that is at odds with a development group, philisophically...

Should the above imply otherwise, it should be noted that I am a Bear Share user and fan, and am simply disappointed in this series of events...