View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2001
Editor

Post *Heavy handed moderation at BearshareNet

Bearshare "Vinnie" says "the forum needs heavy handed moderation" and is deleting anything that doesn't go along with his self interest.
That's fine, it's his forum, he can do what he wants, but as far as I am concerned, he's gone way too far this time.
He has been told about the "spyware" problem, and it took major pressure from many people for him to finally warn people about the installation of Onflow, Savenow and other software.
Without that all the pressure he would have never done anything (IMHO).
He has conveniently lost messages before, trying to cover this up, but in the end the pressure made him do something about the spyware.
He seems to want to control Gnutella, practically dictate over it, and now he wants to dictate over what people say about his software.
Some new encrypted packets are being sent from his software, no one knows what is in them, and he doesn't seem to get that privacy and security is a BIG concern for most people. He makes all sorts of excuses for why they should be encrypted, but there is technically no reason for them at all.
I don't know what it's going to take to get him to remove these "spy" packets, or make them open.
It's sad when this happens to a great network such as Gnutella, and I hope this doesn't start happening with other clients.
Well, that's my rant for the day!
What's your opinion?