View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2004
Gnutella Admirer

chicagojohn is flying high
Talking That File Is Not What You Think It Is

I had to smile when I saw your consternation at DL a movie and it wasn't "the right movie." I completely and totally sympathize with you. Nothing cheeses (read ******) me more than the chowderheads out there that call "Debbie Licks A Lolipop", "read the Rulez Full Complete DivX - Super High Quality - Best Movie Burn Ever." THE ABSOLUTE WORST are the idiots who allow the file to perpetuate and then spread it all over cyber-creation. These folks have some sort of agenda but I'll be damned if I know what it is. If you have Cable/DSl or higher then usually you have wasted some bandwidth and a little time. If you have a JURASSIC STONE AGE 3000 Modem (read 128 or less) then I really feel bad for you because you will waste all your Bandwidth and about 3 days of your life to watch A grainy, incomplete copy, of Debbie licking her lolipop instead of seeing NEO and the gang kick some serious behind. ALL IS NOT LOST. Here are some simple tips I have come to use that save me a lot of lifespan and keep that little vein above my left temple from bursting. 1) Look at the file size before you click on the file name that says, for example, "read the Rulez - Complete Movie, Pristine Quality - You can't Find A Better Copy Than This" or some similar nonsense. If the file size is anything less than 600-750 MB than you DO NOT HAVE A FULL MOVIE! (Unless it is a torrent file - and I don't see many of those). Further, what do you think the chances are of read the Rulez being SUPER HIGH QUALITY? Very, very slim, my friend. That movie just came out so you have to know that some guy who can't get a date probably spent his money on a cheap camera and sat in the back row of a cheap theatre to record it. Also, any file that is less than 3000 KB is usually a redirect to a site that either requires you to DL a license to view it (read SPYWARE ADWARE ALERT). I higly suggest that no matter how bad you want to see Debbie lick that lolipop you don't accept that lisence because you will spend forever and a day getting all that spyware and adware off your CPU even with a good cleaner. I' further suggest, if you haven't already, get the best modem and speed you can afford, and the most updated memory you can afford. I'm sure there are people out there that have better ideas than mine or disagree with what I have said but it's based on my own experience--everyone is different. I had tons of problems with Morpheus and Morpheus Pro but no problems with LW Basic. So, go figure. I hope it helps to know that there are others that share your frustration. I was trying to think of a convention that LW could use to screen out these mis-labeled files but there isn't a practical way that I can think of offhand. You would have a little better luck with a torrent because the likelyhood of someone DL a bad copy of the same file from 200 people is remote of a file like read the Rulez Season 2 - Episode 1.

Last edited by Peerless; August 9th, 2004 at 08:13 PM.