View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2004
Hey now.

jackiecontruccipizzagirl is flying high
Default How much iTunes Song Info Can Others See?

This has probably been answered, so maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Usually I name all the songs I import using iTunes by the title of the album, not the song. (Don't worry, I'm not sharing these songs until I know more about how they will be understood by other users!) In other words, a song by Fictionalband on the album Example Album will likely be named "Example5" if it's track 5, or maybe Fic_Example_5." This is so that if my iTunes Library file gets corrupted I don't have to go through 5,000,000 songs and guess who composed them and what album they're from just by looking at the title.

Anyway, if all these songs also contain iTunes information like "artist" and "album," but ONLY in the "artist" and "album" section in iTunes and NOT anywhere you can see it if you view the file on your desktop and click "get info," can other people with Macs using LimeWire see this information and can LimeWire and other Gnutella people with Windows see any of this information?

In case I'm not being clear, what I mean is, there's tons of cool information about songs in iTunes, but if you take a song and drag and drop it onto your desktop so it's seen as an MP3 file, and you control-click the file and "get info," there's really not a lot of information there, even if you go in comments. I'm just wondering if this extra information you see in iTunes is somehow stored somewhere and I'm wondering what I need to do to my songs so other people can know everything about them.

I'm sort of assuming other people will be able to see all my info if it's all added at the last second using iTunes but I don't know who and how! Actually I don't even know how LimeWire gets its information about songs initially, and I don't know which forum I should be searching in.

I'm going to do more research and remove this post if I can find more. Like I keep saying as my "excuse," I don't know if I know enough to know all the right keywords to search for.

Thanks and TTYL
Jackie

Last edited by jackiecontruccipizzagirl; October 31st, 2004 at 09:49 AM.