View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2004
Gnutella Admirer

Cougar is flying high
Thumbs up Comments = Good

Comments are always welcome - even criticism, we can sometimes learn from.

I agree with you... I would very likely have most of my ChatINFO blocked (or not filled in). Thats why i added the Block info option at the end of the post. We agree.

--

The way LimeWire works now days, with swarm technology and all... a handful of dialups could possibly beat out a heavily used T1. So your point is well taken.

However, that would mostly apply to easy-to-find files. If the user happened to have a unique file would make a trade worth both people's time, then the available bandwidth knowledge might come in handy (mostly considering time to complete the transfer). -maybe a bit weaker, but still a point of thought.

And to actually finish that thought out.... I didn't include this additional idea, because i assumed someone coding would come up with it on their own. The whole topic above is practically irrelevant if the person requesting the file doesn't get it in any better way than waiting as he was before!~

The file could be queued behind 100 people, or just taking too long. Therefore, I assumed a coder would add a SEND FILE button/option to the Chat Window since the file of topic was already clearly identified in the regular ChatINFO feature. This command could make the targeted user a priority for queue and bandwidth (or even transfer that file via a separate client to client protocol). Maybe that makes a little more sense of where I was coming from. (WARNING: If they do this... everyone will likely start bothering each other in chat to request to be put first! So maybe its not in our best interests... then again... who knows!? It sure might help you one day!)

But yeah... a lot of that information I suggested is pretty useless for most. And might be too hard, too big, or too much hassle to code into LimeWire.

Even if we agree that FULL PRIVACY should be the DEFAULT setting, or no other data should be made available, at least knowing what file sparked the message is still a valuable bit of "safe" info to transmit (in my opinion).