View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2004
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: D/L speed probs? I'm skeptical.

Quote:
Originally posted by Techwomyn . . . I wonder if too many people are choking their upload speed thinking that it will improve their download speed.
Could be . . . but also the network has almost tripled these last few months see netsize. I suspect most of the new people don't "get it" yet that this is a file SHARING network, but enough of them will probably come around eventually. We've all been there before.

For download speed checks, against one of the latest free offerings from the www.magnetmix.com page (the link is also built into LW), I'd say gnutella speeds/reliability are pretty comparable to what I can see with downloads from Apple.

As for limiting uploads, I NEED the ability to limit uploads, or my ISP automatically throttles the bandwidth if I exceed 70 GB a month (it's easy to see LW serve up 3 or 4 GB/ DAY). Also, with UL's throttled to 80%, I can use my computer without noticing it lagging,

Still--the bottom line (oh well--pun noted) is right on: more and better sharers need to be encouraged.