View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2004
Devotee

JayG is flying high
Default A whoops or two in LW 4.0.8 for Mac

Too damn often, when a large download (700 meg) is within moments of completing it vanishes. It's gone from the screen, from the incomplete folder, from everywhere, as though it never was—even when searched for via the Finder. It appears that you're sometimes dropping the ball during the handoff from the download to the verify routine because the verify never appears. I've noticed this in the past, so it's not unique to 4.08. It's frustrating to spend several days searching out and downloading a large file only to have the effort turn out to be wasted.

What is unique to 4.0.8 is what appears to be a memory leak. When I open LW I have 1.5 gigs left on the system drive. It stays that way until people begin uploading large video files from my machine. Then it plummets each time a new file is requested. I could understand the need to make a working copy of the file, but I'm not given the option to select the work-disk, so my 75 gig disk sits idle while the crowded system disk free-space drops, until I get messages talling me I have to force quit something because there's no room for application memory on the disk. And that situation does not correct if the uploads either complete or I force-terminate them via the monitor screen. The only thing that will restore the drive to normal is restarting LW, which means I have to get back in line for anything I'm downloading, after waiting half the day for access.

And while I have you on the line... It seems that if the right click is used to select the contextual menu on a search tab it can only be dismissed by either selecting one of the menu options or clicking the tab. It should also dismiss if the body of the search screen is moused.

I also have to comment that with this upgrade the preferences didn't copy properly. It lost the force IP checkbox, the freeloader settings, and I think, preferencing (I'm pretty sure I had it disabled, but it was on and set to 3 when I looked at it after installation).

And... Though I enabled iTunes support, when I launch a mp3 file the LW previewere plays it, where in the past iTunes opened and played the selection. I haven't verified if the control is simply backward, but it doesn't do what it claims to do.

And of course, chat and sharing partials had been re-enabled.

And finally.... The incomplete downloads are going into the folder I created on my second disk—as I instructed LW to do when that destination was something that could be user-selected. I don't know why you removed that ability (or hid it so it couldn't be set from the preferences), but if a future version of LW decides to place those files in my user's incomplete file or within the LW application folder I will probably be forced to stop using LW due to lack of room. The present incomplete-folder size is greater than my free space on the primary drive (and no, I can't move the system to the large drive because it's a 7200 rpm drive, which is too fast for my G3, so the system often freezes on bootup if that drive is used (agreed, it's not impossible that the missing file business I mention above is related to this, but no other application has ever had a problem, and even the system ran perfectly if it got by the speed-bump on bootup, so...).

In any case, I think you may need a new set of beta testers.

Jay