Thread: SP2 Updates
View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2004
Gnutella Admirer

chicagojohn is flying high
Default SP2 Updates

With great stupidity on my part I DL SP2 after just telling my brother that I wouldn't do it for at least 6 months (so MS could release the real SP2). But curiosity go the better of me and I DL it anyway. I have an AMD 64 3200+/K8T880/etc. Well, it locked up on reboot so bad I couldn't even get to Safe Mode or boot from the original XP Pro disk. MS was not much help immediately blaming it on AMD and all my drivers. Well as LOTR knows I always keep updated drivers etc. Luckily my HD's are on swappable trays and I made a boot CD (don't believe in floppies) and was able to get to the restore point I smartly made prior to the install. I got a hold of a tier 2 engineer and he actually admitted some issues with AMD 64 chips and Intel Hyperthreaded chips (I don't know the proper title for intel chips because I have never used them). His advice and mine is wait on SP2 for a "while" until they get all the kinks worked out. I would like to know if others with AMD 64's or Intel Chips with Hyperthreading have had any problems with installs.