View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2004
Disciple

Ringo Chen is flying high
Default even emule has a "fake File" list ....

I'd have to be the first to say limewire is far better then 99% of the other P2P clients out there. HOWEVER... There are a few companies that I have traced that are really abusing all of you limewire users.

edit

I'm sure you've all see the file types "z_e_u_s_! and P_A_G_M_A_K_E_R! and titles of the like. there always an executable file and ALWAYS have every damn marketing promo tool there is INCLUDING hijack warez. T3 or higher.... looks good to the unknowing user.

If you make the mistake of thinking this is a ligit file you soon find your computer over run with registry hacks and hijacks that only allow you to view ONLY the site they are marketing for. Like "findwhatevernow.com" .. try to go to google and your browser now tells you www.google.com can't be found but you can search for anything on ... guess who? MSN or findwhatevernow.com ... yes they are working with microsoft. My rant here is wouldn't it be helpful if limewire would use similar technology to edonkey,emule etc... and have that oh so needed "bad File" list?

Some of these people should be banned, understandably it's not possible in this environment however ....
There are other ways of protecting the limewire community and the reputation of it's network quality.
I'd like to point out a few things for the community to prevent further damage to your systems. First off if you see files with .wmv
just say NO ... same companies use that bs for baiting you into their marketing and your wasting your time and d/l ratios. T3 or higher - .exe files and you can never "Browse the host" ... be warry of this combo.
If your a linux head like me ethereal will spot them for you before you make the fatal mistake my son did on his system.. he runs XP unfortuantely ...
I do believe they now make ethereal for windows, if not get a good windows ip sniffer and just block their IP from your host.

Best,

ringo ...

Last edited by Morgwen; September 8th, 2004 at 02:16 AM.