View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2004
Novicius

ggravier is flying high
Default Always the same 2 files? Voluntary injection of bogus adverts?

Hi all!

Has anyone also noticed this? I'm using LimeWirePro (don't know if it happens with other clients): I type in a random search string (I make it as much a random set of letters as possible) and then I do search; The first 2 responses that come up are systematically one JPG and one WMV file. The JPG file is systematically 41.9 kB and the WMV file is systematically 105.2 kB.

These files have for a name the exact search string I entered; but with underscores between the letters.

If I have 2 different searches going on, with 2 different search strings, I get and try to download the JPG (for example) file from both search results, LimeWire tells me that I'm already loading the file (despite different file names; since this is different search strings). So the files are actually the same (same hashes)...

And when opening the files, they are advertizements for iPod Mini...

Anybody notice this?

Anybody has an idea on how to stop the machine initiating this from continuing?

This is clearly a focused effort at producing bogus results on the Gnutella network (unless LimeWirePro is actually doing advertizement without telling me and this is not really a file on the Gnutella network)?

Ideas anybody?

Thanks,
Gilles.