Thread: Frustration
View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2004
Apprentice

NWSlacker is flying high
Default Frustration

I hate adding to the already long pile of messages about connection problems, I've tried numerous things, but just can't seem to make a connection with any P2P software...

I am using OS X 10.3.x and Limewire 4.0.4

I am on a school network which uses a secure HTTP proxy

I am using NTLM Authorization Proxy Server v.0.9.8 in order to get around some of the authentication problems that I had with other internet applications.

With this program running, I just enter 127.0.0.1:8080 as the proxy server in just about any application and it will connect to the internet, however, this is not so with Limewire...

I did run the purger.jar file to purge the limewire settings, but this made no difference. I tried a port scan on the school's proxy server, but don't see the default limewire port (6346) as being open. Regardless, I did try with a few random ports but I have the same symptoms.

I am manually connecting limewire and not letting it auto-connect on startup, as suggested...

I do have a gad of files in the shared folder, and Limewire does report them as being there.

When I run Limewire, it says, connecting, and if I look at the connections monitor, there is a massive list of servers which the computer tries to connect to... however, it never connects to any of them and eventually Limewire exausts the list, after about 30 seconds.

I am not running any security or firewall software myself

Does anyone know of a solution, of if there is one?

I must say that my experience with Limewire has been only happy ones up till now. It did work just fine for me at home and at a few other places... I think that this is a solid product...

I blame my current connection problems on a configuration problem, either in the preferences of the LAN here... But, if someone can get this thing working with me, I would be really really impressed and happy... But I am understandign that the LAN here might be a barrier.

Last edited by NWSlacker; September 17th, 2004 at 10:14 PM.