View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2001
Unregistered

Exclamation something wrong with the network?

I've been using LimeWire since v1.4, and have been successfully sharing files through my ADSL line and Linksys NAT router.

In the past couple of months, however, I've been noticing that all uploads (or at least all I had the patience to watch) are failing. There'll be an initial burst of traffic and then it will sit unmoving for a minute, then terminate. I don't think this coincided with a particular version of LimeWire, though, because I tried uninstalling v1.6d and installing various other versions including the alternate, Java 1.1-based v1.6d and they all seemed to have the same problem.

It may also be happening with Bearshare, although the Upload screen on Bearshare allows me to leave successful uploads without having to see all the failures, so I've been able to check it over a long-term and see that files are transferring (just not a high percentage).

So, I guess my question is -- is there something wrong with the Gnutella network? I'd like to see LimeWire adopt an automatic IP identification so as to avoid mis-set Force IP problems. I'd also like to see more diagnostics, e.g. Push vs Pull.