View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2001
luker701

Exclamation How to stop freeloaders

Hi there .. I'm currently sharing this file on the network, however, as I'm constantly hitting my maximum number of uploads and topping off my upstream bandwidth, I'm also copying and pasting it here. Please create a text file and share this on the network. And please pass this on to any coders you know.

Anyone coding a gnutella client for Windoze or Linux, please read this. Please pass this file on and share it.

Freeloaders. No one likes em.

First, for those of you who are no longer sharing files because you are tired of freeloaders, all I can say is that you are part of the problem. This kind of mentality will only speed up the end of this network rather than help it. Maybe you don't care, but as someone who has nearly 2,000 files shared, I think pulling your files out of your shared folders just plain sucks, no matter what the reason.

However, given the *current* interface, there's little immediate incentive to share files.

What needs to change? HOTLISTS! Well, improved hotlists.

Say Joe starts downloading a bunch of songs, or whatever, from my host. If I can right click on the download and see all of Joe's files (for instance, a shortcut to his web page list), that tells me whether or not he has files in his shared directory. Now, if take that one step further and determine whether or not Joe is allowing others to download his files, we have usefull information.

How, you may ask, is that usefull? Simple. If I find out Joe's a freeloader, I'll boot him. If I see him again and he's still freeloading, I'll block his ip. Sooner or later, freeloaders will get the message and either start sharing or get lost. Either way, the network will improve.

The only way this is gonna work long term is if we start treating this like a community instead of a common grazing field. Communities have cops. Nah, I don't want people poking around in my files to determine if everything I'm sharing is 100% legal. The kind of cops I'm talking about a modified version of the netcops in usenet. What I'm talking about is providing everyone with the type of information, in a quick and easy way, that we need to start enforcing the golden rule.

P.S.

I'll pay money (just my fair share ... I can't afford to finance development) for a client that will do this for me. Contact: lurker701@yahoo.com