Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Current Gnutella Client Forums > LimeWire+WireShare (Cross-platform) > Technical Support > Installation > Windows
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

Windows Problems with installing LimeWire or WireShare for Windows users

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2006
Novicius

lindon is flying high
Default setup freezes

I have made numerous attempts to install LW but I get to the setup screen "scan for files" and there is no "Back" or "Next" portion on the screen. The previous windows I could barely see the "Next" portion but was able to proceed by hitting the enter button. My Java shows J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 8. I ran the Java test and it showed running OK except I could not see the Java logo guy and could not find any fixes for this - running Windows XP Home SP2 . I dont understand all the Java language and various options . I have AMD Athlone 64 processer and am wondering if the Java I currently have is the right one? Anyone have any ideas?
Old September 19th, 2006
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Not sure if you have it already installed or not, but ... go to Start menu > Programs > LimeWire > Uninstall. Then download the "Offline" version which is not the recommended one.
Old September 19th, 2006
Novicius

lindon is flying high

It showed as installed and I uninstalled. I have tried Offline version and same thing happens.
Old September 19th, 2006
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Do steps 1-3 & 5 here Fixes for Limewire which means removing all Java versions on your computer & reinstalling with just the "Offline" version of Java.
Old September 19th, 2006
Novicius

lindon is flying high

I finally got the program to Set up and run by going into Limewire/Properties/Compatibility and changed to Windows NT - inspite of the fact that I run Windows XP. The setup screens were then fully visible and I could complete the setup.
Old September 19th, 2006
ContraBanned

It's odd I know, but for some reason setting compatibility mode to either 2000 or NT seems to solve some odd issues. lol
Old September 19th, 2006
Novicius

MrKISS is flying high
Default Buttons unseen on install

Thread Starter Lindon posted, "I have made numerous attempts to install LW but I get to the setup screen "scan for files" and there is no "Back" or "Next" portion [buttons] on the screen..."

I had the same problem and I discovered thru a message on installing Napster after Uninstalling LW Basic that you must have "normal" Font Size chosen for the complete Install Dialog Box and its Next, Back, etc buttons to show. I had Large font size chosen.

To change Font Size in Windows XP Home, right click on an empty space on the DeskTop, choose Properties, Appearance, Font Size. Choose Normal.

Limewire should tell users in a prominent place what basic settings Settings are required to make LW work.

I normally have most Internet Explorer Settings Disabled in Security, Custom Level for security. This included Java, Active Scripting and Active X which caused complications and much wasted time w/ my first few downloads of LW Basic which I Uninstalled.

I did much searching on LW and found no mention of Font Size, or a solution to missing buttons.

I'll start some other threads to inform users of these things.

I hope those threads will show in Search and save us all a lot of time and aggravation, and users giving up on LW.
Old January 23rd, 2007
Novicius

lunar is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKISS
Thread Starter Lindon posted, "I have made numerous attempts to install LW but I get to the setup screen "scan for files" and there is no "Back" or "Next" portion [buttons] on the screen..."

I had the same problem and I discovered thru a message on installing Napster after Uninstalling LW Basic that you must have "normal" Font Size chosen for the complete Install Dialog Box and its Next, Back, etc buttons to show. I had Large font size chosen.

To change Font Size in Windows XP Home, right click on an empty space on the DeskTop, choose Properties, Appearance, Font Size. Choose Normal.

Limewire should tell users in a prominent place what basic settings Settings are required to make LW work.

I normally have most Internet Explorer Settings Disabled in Security, Custom Level for security. This included Java, Active Scripting and Active X which caused complications and much wasted time w/ my first few downloads of LW Basic which I Uninstalled.

I did much searching on LW and found no mention of Font Size, or a solution to missing buttons.

I hope those threads will show in Search and save us all a lot of time and aggravation, and users giving up on LW.
wow thanks i had that exact problem excepts my comp is in normal. maybe i'll try a smaller or larger font.
Old June 28th, 2007
Novicius

gokumonke is flying high
Exclamation LW buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKISS View Post

my font size is normal but i still dont see the buttons. i might not use these forums much so if you can help me plz email me at ********
thank you!

Edited to comply with the House Rules.
Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own.

Last edited by birdy; June 28th, 2007 at 03:23 PM.