Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Current Gnutella Client Forums > LimeWire+WireShare (Cross-platform) > Technical Support > Connection Problems
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

Connection Problems Problems getting the LimeWire or WireShare program connecting to the Gnutella network. (not about connecting to files, that is a Download/Upload Problems section issue.) Please supply system details as described in the forum rules.
Start here Suggestions to help you get connected, * try here first *, then see below (click on 'this' blue link)

Did you FORGET something BEFORE you posted? If you post in this section you MUST provide these details: System details - help us to help you (click on 'this' blue link), else do not be surprised if your posting is ignored :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2005
vexed

Question help

for some reason, lime wire kind of eats up all my memory n stuff such that when i run it, everything slows down, programs, internet connection, everything.
i'm quite sure the problem is with limewire as my com is so damn slow everytime it is running but when i close it, everything goes back to normal.
so can anyone tell me what's the problem?
btw, i think its transfer speed is really fast and it would be the best if it does not alow down my system.
Old February 7th, 2005
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

After opening LW let it settle down before doing anything. LW takes time loading up the incomplete & shared files. Depending on how many this might take between 5 to 15 mins or longer.

Don't use the Resume button to continue all your incomplete files. This will use up most of LW's & your comp's resources.

Are you intentionally connecting as an ultrapeer. If not, then go to Tools>Options>Speed & tick the option Disable UP Capabilities & press the Apply button.

Also, Tools>Options>Uploads>Basic & reduce your upload bandwidth to about 80% & press Apply.

Close windows you don't need open at that time. eg: Go to menu View>Show/Hide & hide the connections, monitor & library windows.

Go to downlds & select autoclear downlds.

Clear search results that are more than a few hours old.

By the way are you using the LW Beta version??? If not then you've posted in the wrong location!

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; February 7th, 2005 at 07:43 AM.
Old February 7th, 2005
vexed

beta?
whats that?
all i know is i'm using LW 4.4.0
Old February 8th, 2005
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Beta is a pre release version. Beta's are released to test new developments & fixes. The last beta was LW 4.3.4 You have posted in the Beta section of the forum. See: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/announ...?s=&forumid=29
Old February 8th, 2005
vexed

???
so does that mean i posted in the correct section?
Old February 12th, 2005
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high
Lightbulb Beta versions and version numbers

Beta versions of Limewire use now an odd number in the second digit, and an even number for releases.
The third number indicates small patches or corrections to a beta or release.
So version 4.3.x is a beta.
Now that 4.4 has been released, you'll may see new 4.4.x versions for releases that include minor corrections (but no addition of functionality), and 4.5.x versions for betas (that include new features not added in the 4.4.x branch).
Limewire is then developped on an odd branch, while the latest release may include patches retrofitted from the beta to the last release version).
For now, there's no 4.5.x beta, but it may come soon, to test new features. The current release is 4.4.4 (4.4.5 *may* be released soon with an updated Dutch translation, or few minor bugs corrected, but no additional feature).

So when you try a beta, get sure to use the latest odd sub-version number. Betas (odd) versions x.y.z are no longer supported or discussed here for changes once there's a release x.(y+1).* version on the main download site...

Sometimes, a new release "x.(y+1).*" will be made without some features which were tested in beta "x.y.*", but in that case, these features are delayed and will possibly be present again in the next beta "x.(y+2).*".

When a beta has integrated major changes or additions (such as supporting a new protocol, or an improved GUI interface), the second digit will be 9 (for example the betas to test the next major release 4.0 were "3.9.*"). Beta sub-versions 9 will come just before Limewire thinks that a major update will be beneficial to the Gnutella community, due to important protocol additions or changes (for example the major version 4.* integrates now new protocol features to work through UPnP-enabled routers and firewalls, and is an adequate response to the new Windows XP SP2 builtin firewall; it also includes a new Firewall-to-firewall transfer protocol, based on UDP, which allows emulating a TCP session through a couple of firewalls on both ends).

Here, we should discuss either about the odd beta versions available via the "Beta" button on the Limewire download page, or about alpha versions manually compiled from the instable CVS sources in the Limewire repository (these compiled versions from the CVS sources do not show their version number but just display "@version@", and should not be used for long as they may contain many instable and uncorrected bugs, or premature new code which is not fully tested.)

Those that compile Limewire themselves (using the JDK tools and the various libraries documented in the limewire.org website) must then be prepared to update their sources quite often, or should get a stable version using a branch marked by the Limewire team for each official beta or release: this is normally not needed, for someone else than true developers, because you'll get the same things simply by downloading them from the Limewire website where the application is already compiled).

If your CVS sources is older than 1 month, please stop using it, and download an official precompiled installer or update your sources and recompile)!
Old February 12th, 2005
yah2312

Default ammount memory

you can fix it by installin a program that can changes the ammount of ram that limewire takes. you can find some useful programs in majorgeeks.com or softonic.com (in spanish), also you can find information by googliing this: ammount ram program.