Gnutella Forums  

Go Back   Gnutella Forums > Discontinued Gnutella Client Forums > XoloX (Windows) > User Experience
Register FAQ The Twelve Commandments Members List Calendar Arcade Find the Best VPN Today's Posts

User Experience Tell us what you like/dislike about XoloX. XoloX has been discontinued. We highly recommend you use an actively developed client instead.

Welcome To Gnutella Forums

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features after your registration and email confirmation. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here) (Note: we use Yandex mail server so make sure yandex is not on your email filter or blocklist.)

If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.

Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread

Thank you

If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Spamming is illegal in many countries of the world. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.

Deutsch?              Español?                  Français?                   Nederlands?
   Hilfe in Deutsch,   Ayuda en español,   Aide en français et LimeWire en françaisHulp in het Nederlands

Forum Rules

Support Forums

Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.

When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)

Moderators

There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.

The Rules

1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.

2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.

3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.

4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.

5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.

6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.

7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.

8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.

9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.

10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.

11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.

12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.

13. Dual accounts are not allowed. Cannot explain this more simply. Attempts to set up dual accounts will most likely result in a banning of all forum accounts.

14. Video links may only be posted after you have a tally of two forum posts. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam.

15. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.

Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.

Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2001
Panthera Onca

The Seeker is flying high
Default Observations and a suggestion or two.

The connection speed type selection is nowhere in the options, does not appear when upgrading from an older version, and XoloX does not put the registry key in unless it's installing 'clean' (no registry entries) I only saw it, and the correponding key, after erasing HCU/software/xolox. While speaking of the registry, changing 'fisttime' to 'true' has no effect on how xolox starts, and I still dont' know what 'needtotalinit' is, or when it might be set to false. there is also a rare bug where XoloX will double the shared extentions and directories, but I can't reproduce it at will. (I think it has to do with manually editing the registry while XoloX is running)

I did some tests running BearShare 2.3.0 on port 6437 and XoloX 1.12 on port 6436 (since it can't be changed) My first test was to see if the 'connect to host' line in XoloX works. In my experience, it does not. I enter my IP and port 6347, click add, and nothing tries to connect to BearShare. Is it dumping the IP into the host cache instead of conencting to it? Is XoloX blocking it because it's my IP, even though it's a different port than XoloX uses? Bearshare was able to connect to XoloX with no difficulty, but would frequently drop XoloX claiming the host didn't respond. (this could be due to my severe bandwidth limitations.

The number segments XoloX will attempt to download at once is equal to two times the 'upload speed' setting. Downloads have no speed limits, but I don't have the bandwidth or files to share to observe how uploads work. Does each upload get 'upload speed' K/s, or does each upload get ('upload speed' / number of uploads) K/s?

Downloading a large file from one client to the other I notied that XoloX downloaded from BearShare at about 4.7 Mbits/s (~600 KB/s) but BearShare only downloaded the file at about 1.4 Mbit/s (~170 KB/s using Max speed settings, obviously) I don't know for sure which client is at 'fault' but there was a lot more hard drive grining when Bearshare downloaded form XoloX, so I wonder if the 'slow' speed has to do with how XoloX buffers it's uploads.

Also, as theorized, XoloX is unable to filter out the MP3 metadata BearShare (and gnotella?) send along with query hits. Any mp3 hots that come in from a given host which sends such data will exhibit the following behavior: First hit will be normal and is ok to download. Second hit will be an MP3, but incorrectly display the file name as part of the metadata (eg: 44 kHz 4:09) and have a corrupted file size. All remaining hits from that host will display the filenames with 1 character missing from the beginning, and also have corrupted file sizes. The corrupt file sizes appear to be related to the length of the previous song.

Upon a closer examination of resumeinfo.txt, I found out that XoloX interpets any file matching the search query with the same file size as the same file. However, it appears that XoloX drops any files of duplicate size from the same host. Searching BearShare with XoloX I got 23/31 mpg files returned, and looking at the file sizes ther are 8 files with exact same file sizes as others. This is bad, as many files are chopped into evenly sized chunks to make distrobution easier; file001.ext from one host and file002.ext from another could have the same size, and therefore be seen as the same file, but in reality are just different parts of the same thing.

Only files of the same size AND NAME should be dropped if returned from a single host, and only files with the exact same name should be automatically grouped as a single file. Returns should be sorted as follows: Files of the same size listed next to eachother sorted by rank, with the file size groups listed by order of total group rank. Users should be able to highlight several files and right click to get a menu which lets them do the following: "download" which is similar to the current usage, where any files of seperate sizes are treated as seperate downloads, but when the user selects a download that is the same size (with a different name) as an already downloading job, they should have the option of adding it to the job or making a new one; "download as >" with a list off of the arrow giving them each different file name selected as being the same file; and "Add to >" with a list off the arrow of any downloads currently in progress with the same file size. Double clicking should work the same as "download", in that if a file with the same size is downloading, a yes/no box should appear asking if the user wants to add it to the job.

That's all for now.
Old September 21st, 2001
Unregistered

Talking

wow war and peace !
Old September 21st, 2001
Panthera Onca

Default Nah...

That's not a long post: THIS is a long post... Yeah, I know it's not about XoloX, but a game instead, but it shows what I can do when I get into writing.

note: That was the first draft, by the time I had gotten that far I didn't feel like proof reading. Anyhow, I feel it's more worth a developer's time to read a long and descriptive post than a short and whiney one that just says the software is broke.

[edit: fixed link]

Last edited by The Seeker; October 22nd, 2001 at 02:23 AM.
Old September 26th, 2001
Panthera Onca

Default Anyway

Just a shameless bump to get this to the top of the pile and let me know easier if any new posts have been made to this forum. Also I think that I brought up some very serious problems which will only get worse as people upgrade to Bearshare 2.3.0 or the latest version of Gnotella. Oh, and I'm timing out with Bearshare with out, incoming or auto connections to XoloX on the same computer. XoloX is either sending out malformed packets, or BearShare is wanting a reply to some query, but XoloX is dropping the message and not replying.
Old September 26th, 2001
Enthusiast

X_Man is flying high
Lightbulb

I read somewhere that BS is planning to breakoff into thier own network. . .
Maybe now is a good time, and take Gnotella with you. <grins>

I don't know why we don't start calling the gnutella network the xolox network. LOL

Just one lame users opinion. : )
Old September 26th, 2001

Moak is flying high

Hi Seeker,
yes serious problems. I only want to give a feedback that Bearshare did never drop the connection to Xolox on my system.
Old September 26th, 2001
Panthera Onca

Default Hmmm

I'll re-run my tests on MY computer (the non-Compaq one with an external USR modem instead of a crappy winmodem) which I just got up and running again. *goes to download BearShare*
Old September 28th, 2001
Panthera Onca

Default Ok...

What I have found is... when doing tests offline, Bearshare stays connected to XoloX, when connected though, I get dropped very quickly... I think XoloX is dropping the handshake in favor of routing queries or downloading files... so BS disconnects. (remember I'm on a 31200 connection, broadband useres may not experience this.)

For my tests I shared a number of files, including all the Win98_##.CAB files from my 98SE CD that = 1802240 bytes (The size of a DMF formatted disk) with which I re-confirmed my note that XoloX only displays the first file of a given size from a single host that matches a query.

I also re-confirmd that XoloX returns a max of 30 hits at a time (not 100) and that for a given query, will return the same 30 hits every time. A better method than starting at the beginning of the shared files index each time a query comes in would be to save the end position and start at the next entry, starting over from the beggining when you reach the end. (but not going past 'maxreturns' or it's current start point)

Last point of notable mention is that XoloX will 1) Let a client connect to it multiple times, allowing outgoing network connections to computers that it already has inbound network connections to, and 2) will let a client make multiple connections to it.

In bearshare I was able to have

Localhost = IN
localhost = OUT
ACB7205E.ipt.aol.com = OUT
172.183.32.94 = OUT

Those last two are the same. BTW, with AOL you don't even need to do a DNS to get an IP... just split up the hostmask ... AC.B7.20.5E is hex for 172.183.32.94 (Nice and easy, but impossible to put up bans for without blocking the entire AOL user base :P)

Expect more bug reporting regarding actual networks and proxies and stuff from me soon, as I have been given another (somewhat dead) computer with which I shall network with my own as soon as I manage to get it working and get a network card for it *bwahaha*
Old September 28th, 2001
Panthera Onca

Example of multiple conenctions to XoloX:
Attached Images
File Type: gif connections.gif (1.2 KB, 304 views)