|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|FrostWire General forum section for FrostWire users; Download "FrostWire Clean version 4" . FrostWire v.5 which only uses bittorrents and no longer uses Gnutella Network is not supported on these forums.|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Frostwire is now a malware
Had the displeasure to install Frostwire a few days ago.
First they want to install the toolbar and even ask "are you sure" when refused. Well, yes, I'M SURE, I don't want your ad-ware.
But worst of all they now use hidden folders .netshare for hidden torrents that are not documented and not found in the configuration panel. That is a viral behavior.
And then they automatically, without asking for permission, start downloading 1.4Gb video via a torrent.
These Froswire devs are turning into real scumbags.
Frostwire needs to be forked.
File_Girl did a version of FW without the toolbars & other junk. Not sure about the other issue.
.netshare sounds like a common p2p network file to me. File_Girl could correct me there.
Downlloadinig a torrent without your permission .. yikes. What was the file?
The .networkshare is a hidden and nowhere documented folder that holds torrents that Frostwire automatically distributes without permission from the user.
The torrent in question is called "Four Eyed Monsters" and it's a 1.4 Gb film.
It also seems Frostwire checks for updates (transmitting who knows what information in the process) without giving the option to disable the feature.
I will never accept automatic updates from any app on my computer and if the app does not give me a choice I will stop using it.
The film is distributed as part of their new Frosclick endeavor.
I don't care what they do on Frostclick but they can't use my bandwidth without asking me first.
Frostwire, is it safe?
What you have said about Frostwire is very disturbing, especially the part about distributing torrents without the user's permission:
But you are right about the normal version of FW, it does ask if you want to download (I think) Google's toolbar, which most free apps and utilities do nowadays (even CCleaner), and (I remember) an auto torrent download which I cancelled and deleted.
As for checking for updates, all applications do that but I understand that File_Girl's version does not.
However, I am not aware of FW uploading or distributing itself or anything else without permission and so using my bandwidth for it's own ends. In fact, that's the reason I no longer use LW because the LW org. was using my bandwidth to aid in LW distribution without any form of notification or warning.
Finally, I am very paranoid about my PC's security and I will certainly be watching out for any viral behaviour from FW but since I now use File_Girl's cleaned up version I doubt if any of the problems you are worried about still exist.
PS. File_Girl, you are a bright shining star, thank you for the work you have done.
Last edited by ukbobboy01; November 25th, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Thanks ukbobboy01 for you comment about FW...I found the new version 4.21.1 of FW verry suspect, which installed a load of crapp even i say N0 to every thing they offer me...My home page was changed to Ask dot com, and they put what they called "Open Candy" on my pc as well, which is only useless crapp...They also added like LW did a Auto-Update function which can be used to manny other things like ukbobboy01 mention about in his post above!
PS:Btw LOTR i also notice that folder as shapeshifter910 mention ".netshare", but i think it is not Malware like that...Yes i also noticed the same torrent file called "Four Eyed Monsters" in FW version 4.21.1, but in the version i fixed is this folder not there...
Just Good enough, smart enough, and no longer Elite...
Last edited by File_Girl71; November 25th, 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added more information to the post!
Most of our .xxx folders are there to not bother the user with things they don't understand. No malicious code anywhere, go ahead and checkout our repo.
If they're undocumented, by all means go to our repo (frostwire / frostwire / overview), read the code and document away, help is needed. We could use people making youtube videos explaining what things are and why they are there.
The promo's usually have a "Download Now" button, if not it's pretty obvious that if you click you'll start downloading a torrent. These promo's are there for no cost to the Content Creators and they are a show case of what legal p2p is and how the network can be used to their advantage. We have help distribute several million legal downloads of movies, music albums and software. We are friends of Vodo.net and other organizations looking to promote free content. Thanks for calling us scumbags before talking to us.
The Ask toolbar offer has been there for years, if you can read you will not install it, if you do you can help the project continuity.
As of 4.21.x FrostWire we have now implemented automatic updates via BitTorrent, this way we eat our own food to distribute our technology, we have still not rolled out the first automatic update, this will happen for 4.21.2 once it's ready.
So nope, no malware, we'll never do malware, we're not that stupid.
Feel free to visit our forum's at http://frostwire.com/forums
We'll soon be activating the Mojito DHT aswell (in case anybody is wondering).
The FrostWire Team
Does 'any' user of any software really appreciated auto-updates of the software they use?
Some like myself like to read user feedback on update reports before updating their software. Not being forced to update without a choice. For some professional programs this can render the program unusable, or buggy/problematic & ruin the projects they are working on.
For p2p software, we saw what happened to LW with auto updates, same thing happened to Foxy with auto updates. People will sit at home nervously wondering when it is going to happen with FW. The concept of auto update is 'control', which lots of people do not appreciate.
Do FW devs drop by these forums much btw.
Ha must stupid thing i ever have heared about is this:
Just Good enough, smart enough, and no longer Elite...
While I'm sure you aren't breaking laws by doing this, you are losing the clients trust. And the "If you read closely enough" I'm afraid doesn't fly.
Your site says: No Spyware. No Adware. Guaranteed. http://www.frostwire.com/ Shouldn't it be. "Choice to opt out of adware install."?
What is Ask if I may ask? Do you really believe that Ask isn't adware. What's your definition of adware then?
Also I see absolutely no mention of Ask upon downloading Frostwire. On the other hand the moment I run the installer Comodo pops up asking about AskInstallChecker-126.96.36.199.exe, I chose to block it and now Frostwire won't install. Rerunning the installer with always blocking the above file worked. I was still asked if I was sure I wanted to continue install without installing the Ask.com Toolbar, which is just idiotic, since it's checked by default.
I also read the agreement in it's entirety and nowhere did it mention forced autoupdate nor your bandwidth being used to distribute anything.
Last edited by Sleepless; November 25th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Just Good enough, smart enough, and no longer Elite...
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/frostwire/97471-frostwire-now-malware.html
|Thread Frostwire is now a malware | Gnutella Forums | Page 3 | BoardReader||This thread||Refback||February 17th, 2011 04:11 PM|
|Thread Frostwire is now a malware | Gnutella Forums | BoardReader||This thread||Refback||December 29th, 2010 03:12 PM|
|FrostWire on Gnutella Forums | BoardReader||This thread||Refback||December 10th, 2010 08:53 PM|