|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|LimeWire+WireShare Tips and Tricks Advanced users meet here to share secrets about pushing LimeWire to the limit.|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features after your registration and email confirmation. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Spamming is illegal in many countries of the world. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Dual accounts are not allowed. Cannot explain this more simply. Attempts to set up dual accounts will most likely result in a banning of all forum accounts.
14. Video links may only be posted after you have a tally of two forum posts. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam.
15. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
How to Force UltraPeer (Better searches whether using Pro or Basic)
This is only for users that have upspeed, which can handle it!!! At least 30KB/s upload unused
You have to be connectable. That means there can be no wall in front of the blue earth i.e. no firewall blocking incoming
You have to be able to connect fast and get a stable connection quickly. If you have trouble connecting normally as a leaf, then there is very little chance that this will work
That major difference between Limewire Basic and Limewire Pro is that Pro connects to 5 UltraPeers (UPs) while Basic only connects to three. And also Pro let's you connect to 10 hosts for a download, while Basic lets you connect to 8 hosts (DSL and T1. T3 connection will allow more hosts)
But the most important part in using the Gnutella network is actually to be able to find the files, so on hard to find files, more connections for searching is better than few connections. Pro will give you 5 UP connections WOWSERZ while being an UP will give you 32 connections Also you will be helping the network by providing searches for other users.
So here is a little trick for the people that aren't automatically chosen for UP
Even if you are not automatically chosen to be one, if your average connect time to the network is high enough (think 6 hours on average should do it), then you can just force it yourself by deleting the UPs you are connected to until you start getting many more connections (max is 32UPs and 32 leaves).
Important: There is an option in Limewire that gives you the choice of not ever becoming a UP. You can find it under Tools->Options->Advanced->Performance. Make sure the option called "Disable UltraPeer Capabilities" is not checked.
In Windows you can do this by going to Connections tab and highlighting a connection, then press Ctrl+A --> Del. You may have to do this a few times before you see the connections grow.
Also newer Limewire versions are to my knowledge not bug free, so you might want to use an older version. Just uninstall using the uninstall.exe in your Limewire program folder.
I had very good results using v4.12.06 but that might not be the case for you. It seems it depends a bit on computer setup.
Edit: Just tried this on 4.17.1 and two hours after install it worked
Anyways, You can find older versions here: Download LimeWire Basic 4.12.6 - filehippo.com
Note: Limewire didn't have BitTorrent support until v. 4.13 but since their BitTorrent support sucks anyway, just use a proper program for that e.g. Azureus or uTorrent.
Last edited by Sleepless; March 10th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Update: Some ridiculous things I noticed when acting as UP.
It seems your advertised speed goes to dial-up for your shared files, at least in v.4.17.1.
Also in the same version it is not possible to choose higher connections when setting up. I had to choose between having Dial-Up or Broadband. Broadband gave me the choice to either have unlimited Up/Down speed or max 43.31KB/s using the slider. There is no choice for choosing any other option to set your speed.
Guess the Limewire Dev team continue to strip the the more advanced users choice for setting up the program. Reminded me why I dumped it for something better. What about the user that likes to use more than just Limewire for file sharing? If I choose Unlimited, I risk stealing bandwidth from other programs, so guess I'm stuck on 43.31KB/s.
I wonder when or if they ever will start listening to the users.
BTW CPU-usage had a lot of spikes at over 30% (mostly 3-12% between the spikes) and it was using 140MB RAM???? This was on a 1.7Ghz laptop, portforwarded, disabled TLS and DHT, although unfortunately they don't completely disable DHT even when you choose to disable it. They only disable outgoing. Maybe the integrated Limewire Store browser capabilities have something to do with it too
My advise is find an older version, pre-BitTorrent support i.e. before v.4.13
[Sarcasm]Well at least it connected fast[/Sarcasm]
Last edited by Sleepless; March 10th, 2008 at 02:53 AM.
Hi, I just tried this on Limewire 4.18.8. I had to go to View and choose Connections to add that tab. I deleted all the incoming connections. but I am not getting new connections.
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/limewire-wireshare-tips-tricks/81811-how-force-ultrapeer-better-searches-whether-using-pro-basic.html
|FTC responds to LabMD’s motion for sanctions in FTC v. LabMD Â» PHIprivacy.net||This thread||Refback||August 31st, 2014 01:25 PM|
|Site Gnutella Forums | www.gnutellaforums.com | BoardReader||This thread||Refback||July 1st, 2011 01:02 PM|
|Ultrapeer | Life123||This thread||Refback||March 19th, 2011 02:27 PM|
|Thread How to Force UltraPeer (Better searches whether using Pro or Basic) | Gnutella Forums | BoardReader||This thread||Refback||February 18th, 2011 10:40 PM|
|LimeWire Tips and Tricks on Gnutella Forums | BoardReader||This thread||Refback||August 5th, 2010 05:03 PM|