|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Site Feedback For feedback on Gnutella Forums. |
For feedback on a specific Gnutella client, please post in one of the forums above; ie: Current Gnutella Client Forums
Site Feedback is only about issues in reference to this forum, NOT about a gnutella program usage problem
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features after your registration and email confirmation. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Spamming is illegal in many countries of the world. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Dual accounts are not allowed. Cannot explain this more simply. Attempts to set up dual accounts will most likely result in a banning of all forum accounts.
14. Video links may only be posted after you have a tally of two forum posts.
15. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Is there any way to have my username changed for these forums? It's the only thing that the User CP does not allow the user to edit.
Also, what about having an account deleted? I'm currently registered to the site with two (2) usernames and, obviously, only need one (1).
Thank you for any assistance in this matter.
These Forums & Gmail for LimeWire are two totally different things. I personally haven't tried using the Friends option for LW yet so cannot advise there. Someone else might be able to advise.
Hi there again. I know it's been, what, a year-and-a-half since this thread was started, but I wanted to re-open the topic, if I may, especially since a third party has made a post. . . .
First of all, I'd like to explain that this poster (me) is the same poster as the originator of this thread. These two usernames are two of the three I have registered on Gnutella forums. Whereas I undstand that the servers may
Thank you for any and all assistance in this matter.
"Live your life to its fullest potential."
Jimmy1's post is totally off-topic. That happens frequently people posting anywhere they choose, sometimes just in hope of getting attention, sometimes because they do not know anything about forums.
Send a Personal Message to Birdy, she will clear your situation up. I am surprised I missed your original post all that time back. But Birdy has been appointed as an admin here recently & needs practice at doing this.
BTW usernames can be changed ... And accounts removed, but only by forum Admins. We are not keen on removing accounts if they have posts to their name on the forums. We make exceptions but rarely.
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; March 12th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Thank you for the prompt reply! My only question would be how to contact "Birdy." . . . . I searched through the "Members List" and a found a "birdy" listed as an "Airhead," would this be the person? Also, about "removing accounts [that] have posts to their name on the forums," "wakedaddy335" only has two: this thread being one of them. . . .
On that point, I did a little research and found a reply you posted here:
Closing my account
You mentioned that posts are deleted with the account but it appears that the account associated with that thread was deleted whereas the posts remain active. . . . Am I missing something?
Also, one thing I don't understand about this site is the "user titles." This was mentioned in another post associated with the username deletion topic, found here:
How would I close my account???
Whereas I don't appreciate the negativity and rudeness in the post , the user (or rather former user) "hittz26" mentioned that the word "Administrator" should be included and associated with the usernames of those considered to be administrators and I agree with that point. I see that my user title is "Junior Member" and I noticed that the same user title is very populous in the Members List for the forum.
[side note: All right, I just did a search and found a post in "The Lounge" from you about 23 hours ago and plan on posting to that after I finish this one. For clarification, that thread is here: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/lounge...m-members.html]
One final thing I'd like to mention is that I see posts made on threads that have no relevance to the original topic and then, ironically, replies have been made by you, "Lord of the Rings," to answer the off-topic question and now that I understand you are one of two administrators on the forums, I am confused as to why you don't move the posts to the correct forums. According to rule #7 for the forums, such posts should be reported to the moderator who "will do what is required." Are administrators and moderators different? This is simply furthering my confusion. . . .
Thank you for your assistance and understanding in my concerns.
"Live your life to its fullest potential."
Threads are easy to move. The persons who post to it retain their subscription to it so it can be found easily. When later posts are removed from threads, the user loses their subscription & would have problems locating it. For that reason, I felt it was better to solve the issue before the posts are removed from the thread & placed elsewhere.
It is by default that users cannot delete their own accounts on this forum software. It is not possible for them to do so.
We prefer members not deleting posts because this forum is like a library for others to seek information. If a member has posted very helpful information to another member & that person deletes their own threads & posts, then it is a waste.
I edited in a link earlier which showed the admins, & I suggested PMing Birdy. All you'd need to do is specify what you wished after clicking on her name & choosing send Personal Message from her profile. Besides, I did earlier send her a PM re: this issue.
And yes, we are presently discussing between the mods & admins about changing the default Titles. Something more interesting for users. But in any case, any member can change their title themselves & create a custom title. Just like I did. To do that you go to User Control Panel, Edit Profile link from left side of page. At present, 0-29 posts = Junior Member, 30 is Member, 100 is Senior Member. This is the default for all vBulletin forums. We'd be happy for your suggestions for titles in that thread. We want member input since this will be for them, not us.
Likewise you can add avatars from the forum to your user profile. Even add a custom one (eg: my penguins).
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; March 12th, 2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: oops fixed up my figures
Responding to your topics by method of each paragraph. . . .
It's nice to know you're being considerate about the subscription situation; I was unaware that they would be cancelled. I thought there might be some way to move the thread and have the user(s) retain their subscription(s). However, my comment was about an irrelevant post that was made in a thread where the thread was posted in the correct forum. . . . Just out of curiosity, is there a way to move that post into the correct forum as a new thread?
I understand how and why users are not able to delete their personal account(s). The main reason this thread is still open is because the original responder ("AaronWalkhouse") made that sarcastic remark (at least it seems like sarcasm) about the amount of space these forums have and I was to upset to want to respond. Now that I have a discussion with someone who is willing to help (ahem: I'm referring to you, Lord hehehe), I'm becoming more familiar with how these forums operate. Specifically, the bit about threads being removed with the account. However, referencing this thread, it seems as though the account for user "smallville_is_hot" has been deleted while the thread, of which was originated by said user, remains in the forums. Am I misinterpreting what I see in the thread? If I'm not, this tells me that my "wakedaddy335" account can be deleted while leaving this current thread available for future reference. Am I correct with this assumption?
Thank you for that link for the forum leaders and such; I was unsure where to find information about moderators and the like. Now I know.
I have posted a couple suggestion posts on that titles forum (you've actually responded to one) and I realize now that my title upgrade intervals are a bit bogus. lol Should I edit that post with an update in interval suggestions, post new suggestions in a new post, or wait for further responses?
And finally, thank you for the avatar suggestion. I knew about that option but I am unsure of what I would like to use.
"Live your life to its fullest potential."
Lots of avatars to choose from.
You can edit your title post as you please. Or re-post new suggestions.
Yes posts can be removed from threads & made into a new thread. However the member who posted it would not be subscribed to it. Most would not know how to find such a post of theirs in that case. That's why I tend to do it later than sooner, with exceptions.
As for deletion of accounts & loss of posts. In the previous version of vBulletin deleting accounts would delete their posts also. It appears not to be exactly the same now but also depends how the account is deleted. I do get such warnings using a second method from memory. However it's so rare I delete accounts ... and reluctantly so in most cases unless it's a duplicate spammer account that is yet to post which is a different story. Enough about admin tech issues. lol