View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2005
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

salut et voilą, mon ami

As soon as people realize that using or connecting to a LW version above 4.9.29 gets them into a controlled network, they will ask "where can we get an older version?"

We should share the installers that will help users remain freely connected.

(ultracross: ) 4.9.30 is already controlled by fewer ultrapeers, so I will participate only in a network of 4.9.29 Ultrapeers or earlier. I plan to ask for vendor/version blocking to help keep a free and open international network.

When the network consisted of 150K users, this still allowed much development to continue, and there is still lots of work to do before Mark Gorton's vision of an open and free network is realized.

gnutella is far from dead: we should encourage and facilitate those interested in F/LOSS to only use 4.29 and earlier. This will preserve the current network and provide an option to the controlled network.

Personally, I like the idea of ridding the network of all that audio crap Vive la texte et les images! Pardon my French.

LOTR: currently only audio files will be affected, but the code is ready to not share other extensions too. As far as I'm concerned, that's not the issue. It's that LW has been pressured into allowing the RIAA to exert influence over material and people outside of the USA. What hackers! "All your files belong to US " Yeah right.

So: can you experts tell me this? Will sharing my 4.9.29 Pro.dmg be any use to other OS X users? I'm currently sharing LimeWire 4.9.29jum431 OS X (magnet available on request).