View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2002
Gnutella Admirer

Sephiroth is flying high

People were saying gnutella couldnt scale before Bearshare & limwiere were even out.. Keep in mind that the network has changed from when all the gnutella cant scale papers were coming out.

I doubt with the wide prescence of web gnutella search engines that the network was "scaling fine" also the network isnt scaling great today. Many users are reporting connection problems and problems with downloads, uploads and other network problems. If it was truely scaling great then users wouldnt have problems connecting..

As for proposals many of them were made by commerical interest and the best ones at that time were chosen if you dont like which one was chosen then you should have been at the gdf when it was being discussed or it could always change in the future. And again its a OPEN NETWORK meaning that no one really forced to do anything, but remember that goes both ways... If you wanted too you could try to force an standard on the rest of the network but without support from other developers its unlikely that it would be successful.

Your not helping fund other programs you didnt install it, you dont have ads or whatever. Whatever benifit you provide them by staying on the network they provide you with the exact same.. Unless your saying you dont download off any commerical gnutella programs users?

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Yea, I remember when a certain commercial developer starting with a "V" screwed up his code and because of his total control over his program forced everyone to upgrade then that took down a big part of the existing network and people started to say "Gnutella can't scale", that's how that got started.
Then Napster shut down, you think that might have been a factor in growth?
Gnutella was able to scale just fine, as it does now. Morpheus isn't using any "Ultrapeers" and seems to be doing fine with 200,000+ nodes. So Gnutella would be just about as big as it is today without the help of greed leeching off our resources and spaming us with ads and spyware.
You see, these people can't seem to stop themselves, they need to make a buck or lose their jobs. So they spam, spam, spam.
Protocol proposals came from everyone invloved, not just the commercial interests. Greed prevented some from getting used because it might not be in the best interest of profit, or controling the network/market share.

Besides, the size of the network doesn't matter after a few hundred nodes, it's the attitude of those who share. If people know their efforts arn't going to make thrid parties rich they might want to put more work into providing new and better quality content. Others may join in to add more features to the code. I don't use them but I also don't want to contribute my computer time or network resources that I pay for to third party commercial interests' pockets. I just want a choice not to.