View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2019
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Sorry about the visibility of your post. There are some keywords that cause a filter to hide posts for moderation. The url triggered this.

I like your efforts to get WireShare connecting.

Even though WireShare (WSHR) should connect fine with UPnP, if it's not connecting then perhaps UPnP has somehow become disabled via an Windows update. Do strongly consider trying port forwarding. I know it might sound like a lot of work but after you've done it once you will realise it was not such a huge deal to achieve. It's easier on some routers than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragdus View Post
@Lord of the Rings
... However I found error.log file and kept it. Shall this file throw some light upon the cause of the problem? If needed I can upload it.

My version of Java was not the latest one ...
Did you try reading the log to see if there are any issues? It should be possible to upload the file when posting. However you first might want to check to remove any personal information such as account name which you could simply replace with word user/account.

Minor java versions should not make any particular difference. The changes are generally for security reasons if using for browsers, however afaik WireShare does not use that portion of java.

Quote:
Does this mean that WireShare and Shareaza are developed by one and the same person?
No, totally independent teams. And it appears now Shareaza's development has shifted into two teams or one team and one independent developer. Just because there's no updates for a year or two does not mean development has finished permanently.
Quote:
Both Cabos and Phex are abandoned for good, right?
No. Well I hope not. Unlike Acqlite, Cabos for OSX was never upgraded to universal 32/64 bit and so does not run on the later MacOSX's.

Quote:
I would appreciate if someone creates a portable program for Gnutella- a portable version would have significant advantages- ...
There were a portables created for FrostWire (created by File_Girl) and LimeWire back in 2010 and 2011. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to in regards to 'portable'.

I can contact the WSHR dev but he is not always responsive. Generally because he is super busy with work.

Quote:
Off-topic questions- do you know why Ares is no longer hosted on SourceForge? It is no longer open source? Is there a way to disable check for updates and automatic downloads of the latest version of Ares? Can Cabos, Gnucleus and Phex still work on modern OS? Have you ever tried Fopnu ... and if you have- what do you think?
I don't think I ever tried Ares or if I did it was only to very quickly check it out many years ago. The source code might have shifted to a different open source repository. Last year Sourceforge went through some dramatic changes breaking the site into two operational groups/categories behind the scenes.

As mentioned Cabos won't work on 64-bit but that probably won't affect Windows. I just installed Cabos and it opens ok on Win 10. Gnucleus I don't know, haven't tried it for a year or two. Phex has some issues on some systems. But I just opened up Win 10 and opened phex_3.4.2.163 (an alpha-beta) without any issues. After I replaced the host file it connected immediately (one or two seconds.) But Phex has no way of warning you if the program is firewalled and Phex can be incredibly difficult to connect with if firewalled. I just opened up WSHR 5.6.6 on Win 10 and it connected after a few seconds. Non-firewalled but port forwarded.

I've never tried or heard of Fopnu.