View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2002
tmaddox

Unhappy Windows 2000 lockups

I was cruising along fine and happy with LimeWire 2.6.5 Pro and JRE 1.3.1, and then I decided to install LW 2.7.3 Pro and JRE 1.4.1. And that's when all my troubles began . . .

I'm running Windows 2000 SP3 on a Celeron 500 with 256 MB RAM, an nVidia GeForce 4, a SoundBlaster Live! Value, and a D-Link ISA NIC. Since installing LW 2.7.3, I've had problems with the system spontaneously locking up, seemingly at random, even when I'm not running LimeWire. When I am running LW, I can expect the system to freeze within a minute or so. I share roughly 5000 files, although 2.7.3 has never gotten through the process of sharing these out, for obvious reasons.

Hangs outside of LW usually occur when I have Mozilla loaded, which leads me to believe the problem may reside in some Java module that LimeWire loads or installs, since that seems like the only point of commonality between the two programs. My other thought is that the problem is a driver issue, given that the system hangs completely (no three-finger salute). I've tried running LimeWire with JRE versions 1.3.1, 1.4.0, and 1.4.1, with identical results.

Unfortunately, I overwrote my LW 2.6.5 installer. If anyone has a copy, please let me know. I'd be perfectly happy rolling back to the older version.

Thanks!

Tom