View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2001
Unregistered

Default You Took It The Wrong Way!

NO-NO-NO!

I ACTUALLY MEANT IT THAT WAY! I REALLY DID!

I WANTED TO UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION IN ORDER TO DELIVER AN ANSWER! (If I was insincere, here, I would not be bothering to write this, now!)

The trouble with plain text and text in general, on the Internet, is that I can't inject tone of voice (for example, SINCERITY) and can't produce "accented" words in the way in which I would wish to, as an English Tutor of some 20 years standing.

This type of mis-communication happens in E Mails from web-based (plain-text) E Mail systems and in ICQ messages, often, also.

My response was inspired by URGENCY- NOT CRITICISM!

That's why they were in capital letters (???) in the first place.

[ And, incidentally, about the bitchy comparison of others grasping my language and me grasping theirs? I imagine that this person didn't wake up with the English language, one day, partially installed; they're learning it - and probably because they want to, or need to. I have no wish to have a grasp of anybody else's "native tongue" and I encounter no requirements to do so. ]

I just had the wish to understand the question so that I could answer it. I know what it's like to be concerned about a feature of Gnotella and to be unable to get an answer.

It was meant in a light-hearted, jocular, but not sarcastic way; a way in which, should they wish to, the original poster could take part.

I should imagine, therefore, that I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE who should think a little more before I type and send!