View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2001
Novicius

JayJay is flying high

Oh come on... the original message wasn't very hard to understand. ESPECIALLY not with such a keen grasp of the English language as you both seem to have.

Here's the original, let's decipher it:

--------------------------------------------------------
i'm new in here..?? i not now i can use it...??

if the massage sent push request....!!!

what can i do...??
--------------------------------------------------------

The only thing that doesn't work here is the use of punctuation, exclamation- and question marks. Let's look through them and correct some of the words:

I'm new in here..?? probably means "I am new here."

So far it's quite easy.

i not now i can use it...?? Since this is posed as a question, much like the previous one, with question marks at the end, we should be able to explore the possibility that they are not intended here either. Thus, we have the sentence: "I not now I can use it", which seems incomprehensible until we discover the missing "k": "I not KNOW I can use it". The meaning will be kind of hard to discern until we try to combine this "sentence" with the next, which is logical since the next one starts with the word "if", which kind of insinuates that whatever was meant is continuing on the next row: "if the massage sent push request...!!!". Notice that the person most likely isn't talking about a massage here, but rather a message. So we must conclude that what is meant is actually: "I don't know how to use it (Gnotella, obviously) if I get the message 'sent push request'.".

The last one: "what can I do...??" most likely is meant to be taken as a question (and not a rhetorical one at that).

So, the message in its entirety would read:

I am new here. I don't know what to do if I get the message "sent push request". What can or should I do?

All this took me less than a second to understand and interprete. Why? Because I PAY ATTENTION to the whole picture. There are not many important, operative words in this message. Look for them and you'll know what is meant.

During the first second, it shouldn't be impossible to notice the words: "New", "push request" and "what should I do"?

Being an active user of Gnotella it isn't really that hard to understand what the guy wants to know. He is encountering Push requests that won't go away (why else would he write to us?). So what's the answer? Easy:

You are getting push requests because the people you are downloading from are behind firewalls or routed so that you can't get their real address. Most likely YOU are firewalled too and two firewalled users can't download from each other if one of them doesn't find out his REAL ip and goes into "setup -> my connection" and types in his REAL ip in the field labeled "force local ip to:".

Another solution is to just NOT download from addresses beginning with 192.168 or 10. They are local addresses and WILL generate push requests.

My apologies to those of you who really had no idea what the guy mean who started this thread.

-JJ