View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2004
lazy dragon - retired mod

Morgwen is flying high

The port speed is usually the same. Some providers slow down some port (sharing ports) but nobody is incresing the speed of a port.

Quote:
When I did tec support for MSN, we were 'told' to tell customers who were having 'performance issues' (i.e. downloading a 3MB tune took 8 hours) to check that their port speed wasn't set to 115K, and if it was, to lower it to 57K - the 'logic' being the higher port setting would (and I'm paraphrasing here) "predispose a system expectation of network performance that was not possible at the fixed bandwidth provided by 'the service'; and, so, in turn, would result in a network bottle-neck effect, paradoxically slowing down surfing performance."
???

AFAIK its technically impossible to download with a 56k modem faster than 56k... it doesnīt matter how fast the line is. A friend told me (who is working for a German provider), that the line is much faster than the "guarantee" speed, because if they have performance problems and the line drops by 50% they can assure the top speed! But the output isnīt faster (at least not much, depends on your hardware) than the "guarantee" speed.

Morgwen