|Register||FAQ||The Twelve Commandments||Members List||Calendar||Arcade||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
|Other For questions about installing LimeWire on alternate operating systems NOT including Windows or Mac. (Such as Linux variations.)|
| Welcome To Gnutella Forums |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, fun aspects such as the image caption contest and play in the arcade, and access many other special features after your registration and email confirmation. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! (click here)
If you have any problems with the Gnutella Forum registration process or your Gnutella Forum account login, please contact us (this is not for program use questions.) Your email address must be legitimate and verified before becoming a full member of the forums. Please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that email messages can reach you.
Note: Any other issue with registration, etc., send a Personal Message (PM) to one of the active Administrators: Lord of the Rings or Birdy.
Once registered but before posting, members MUST READ the FORUM RULES (click here) and members should include System details - help us to help you (click on blue link) in their posts if their problem relates to using the program. Whilst forum helpers are happy to help where they can, without these system details your post might be ignored. And wise to read How to create a New Thread
If you are a Spammer click here.
This is not a business advertising forum, all member profiles with business advertising will be banned, all their posts removed. Spamming is illegal in many countries of the world. Guests and search engines cannot view member profiles.
Hilfe in Deutsch, . Ayuda en español, . Aide en français . et . LimeWire en français, . Hulp in het Nederlands
Before you post to one of the specific Client Help and Support Conferences in Gnutella Client Forums please look through other threads and Stickies that may answer your questions. Most problems are not new. The Search function is most useful. Also the red Stickies have answers to the most commonly asked questions. (over 90 percent).
If your problem is not resolved by a search of the forums, please take the next step and post in the appropriate forum. There are many members who will be glad to help.
If you are new to the world of file sharing please do not be shy! Everyone was ‘new’ when they first started.
When posting, please include details for:
Your Operating System ....... Your version of your Gnutella Client (* this is important for helping solve problems) ....... Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) ....... The exact error message, if one pops up
Any other relevant information that you think may help ....... Try to make your post descriptive, specific, and clear so members can quickly and efficiently help you. To aid helpers in solving download/upload problems, LimeWire and Frostwire users must specify whether they are downloading a torrent file or a file from the Gnutella network.
Members need to supply these details >>> System details - help us to help you (click on blue link)
There are senior members on the forums who serve as Moderators. These volunteers keep the board organized and moving.
Moderators are authorized to: (in order of increasing severity)
Move posts to the correct forums. Many times, members post in the wrong forum. These off-topic posts may impede the normal operation of the forum.
Edit posts. Moderators will edit posts that are offensive or break any of the House Rules.
Delete posts. Posts that cannot be edited to comply with the House Rules will be deleted.
Restrict members. This is one of the last punishments before a member is banned. Restrictions may include placing all new posts in a moderation queue or temporarily banning the offender.
Ban members. The most severe punishment. Three or more moderators or administrators must agree to the ban for this action to occur. Banning is reserved for very severe offenses and members who, after many warnings, fail to comply with the House Rules. Banning is permanent. Bans cannot be removed by the moderators and probably won't be removed by the administration.
1. Warez, copyright violation, or any other illegal activity may NOT be linked or expressed in any form. Topics discussing techniques for violating these laws and messages containing locations of web sites or other servers hosting illegal content will be silently removed. Multiple offenses will result in consequences. File names are not required to discuss your issues. If filenames are copyright then do not belong on these forums & will be edited out or post removed. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
2. Spamming and excessive advertising will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising is not allowed in any form, including using in signatures.
3. There will be no excessive use of profanity in any forum.
4. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults, or any other personal attacks.
5. Pictures may be attached to posts and signatures if they are not sexually explicit or offensive. Picture sample attachments in posts must not include copyright infringement.
6. Remember to post in the correct forum. Take your time to look at other threads and see where your post will go. If your post is placed in the wrong forum it will be moved by a moderator. There are specific Gnutella Client sections for LimeWire, Phex, FrostWire, BearShare, Gnucleus, Morpheus, and many more. Please choose the correct section for your problem.
7. If you see a post in the wrong forum or in violation of the House Rules, please contact a moderator via Private Message or the "Report this post to a moderator" link at the bottom of every post. Please do not respond directly to the member - a moderator will do what is required.
8. Any impersonation of a forum member in any mode of communication is strictly prohibited and will result in banning.
9. Multiple copies of the same post will not be tolerated. Post your question, comment, or complaint only once. There is no need to express yourself more than once. Duplicate posts will be deleted with little or no warning. Keep in mind a forum censor may temporarily automatically hold up your post, if you do not see your post, do not post again, it will be dealt with by a moderator within a reasonable time. Authors of multiple copies of same post may be dealt with by moderators within their discrete judgment at the time which may result in warning or infraction points, depending on severity as adjudged by the moderators online.
10. Posts should have descriptive topics. Vague titles such as "Help!", "Why?", and the like may not get enough attention to the contents.
11. Do not divulge anyone's personal information in the forum, not even your own. This includes e-mail addresses, IP addresses, age, house address, and any other distinguishing information. Don´t use eMail addresses in your nick. Reiterating, do not post your email address in posts. This is for your own protection.
12. Signatures may be used as long as they are not offensive or sexually explicit or used for commercial advertising. Commercial weblinks cannot be used under any circumstances and will result in an immediate ban.
13. Dual accounts are not allowed. Cannot explain this more simply. Attempts to set up dual accounts will most likely result in a banning of all forum accounts.
14. Video links may only be posted after you have a tally of two forum posts. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam. Video link posting with less than a 2 post tally are considered as spam.
15. Failure to show that you have read the forum rules may result in forum rules breach infraction points or warnings awarded against you which may later total up to an automatic temporary or permanent ban. Supplying system details is a prerequisite in most cases, particularly with connection or installation issues.
Violation of any of these rules will bring consequences, determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank You! Thanks for taking the time to read these forum guidelines. We hope your visit is helpful and mutually beneficial to the entire community.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Linux: LW still works fine with version 5.5.10, but do not attempt to use later version !!!
Looks like the money grabbing nazis have stuck their boots in to stop the use of LW or limit its use. . Forced Update & Legal Notice Sample Image.
(The weblink that message came from has since been closed down so instead you may receive an error message 'You are offline', but ignore this as shown here.) LW 4 does not have force update options, neither does LW 5.5.10 or earlier (or 5.6 beta.)
If you intend to download LimeWire 5 or LPE (Pirate Edition), then I recommend also downloading the linux_lwSettings_Connect_LimeStart.tar.gz as this includes an installer for settings, search spam filter, Connection file, LimeStart and optional LW Security to block out much spam. LimeStart will prevent LW deleting your connection file if not used in 30 or more days. There is a LW4 equivalent at bottom of page which does not need LimeStart.
Some linux systems might need the sun (oracle) java version for LW 5 to run (instead of the open source icedtea java.) Oracle's Java 6 or 7 seem to work fine. If you really need java 6 you can find such a java 6 version for your system here. For ubuntu instructions here.
If problems installing the LimeWireLinux.deb versions, then try the LimeWireOther.zip version instead. Or alternatively if unpack the deb version via terminal using a command like sudo dpkg -i LimeWirePirateEdition.deb does not work, use an extractor instead. Example, right-click the deb file and choose extract here.
Recommended is WireShare. WireShare 5.6.3 released March 2014 is an upgrade from LimeWire Pirate Edition 5.6.2 from late 2010. WireShare has an inclusive installer for connection file & hostiles. WireShare includes several improvements and bug-fixes which fix the Java 7 issue, no deletion of the connection file, larger connection cache & some other major bug fixes & improvements.
You can still use LW 5 if you downgrade back to LW 5.5.10 or earlier. Basic instructions are here: Hello Out There
You can choose and download these versions from a GoogleDrive folder. (You might need to switch to List View to see the version names properly. Sample OSX equivalent image here.)
The 4Shared download options below you need to become a member of their site for downloading. 4Shared mirror download folder. 4Shared download instructions here. . (LW 5 versions will need LimeStart.)
LimeWireLinux 5.5.10.deb (click link). . (Released 24 June 2010)
LimeWireLinux 5.5.9.deb (click link) (Debian, Ubuntu). . (29 May 2010) . . LimeWireOther 5.5.9.zip (OS/2, Solaris, Linux)
LimeWireLinux 5.5.8.deb (click link) (Debian, Ubuntu). . (5 April 2010) . . LimeWireOther 5.5.8.zip (OS/2, Solaris, Linux)
If you are presently a LW 5.5 Pro user, then your activation will hopefully be automatically recognised for 5.5.8, 5.6.0 & 5.6.1. Else the program is used in Basic mode. It is not possible to activate new Pro users even with the Pro key code. Activations might also be time limited.
. . . LimeWireLinux 5.4.7.deb (Debian, Ubuntu). . (15 February 2010) . . LimeWireOther 5.4.7.zip (OS/2, Solaris, Linux)
. . . LimeWireLinux 5.3.6.deb (click link) (Debian, Ubuntu). . (30 September 2009)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LW version nouvelle pas pirat e du tout
There is also the * LimeWire Pirate Editon * (LPE 5.6.2) which is based on LW Basic but gives as good as LW Pro. No legal notice on startup. Connects very easily! WireShare 5.6.4 can be found in same download locations as LPE.
linux_lwSettings_Connect_LimeStart.tar.gz :- MediaFire Mirror, . . 4Shared Mirror . . . If LW 5 is already installed & only want LimeStart here. LimeStart is installed to the desktop, or move anywhere within your permissible zones it should work. If not, let me know or the fixes required. Since I was unable to install the LW deb package I can not check LimeStart works as intended with the program directories. Ubuntu does not have any program folder per se.
To speed startup, you may wish to change the 'find' command to 'locate' if you have run LW in a previous boot session, or even replace with the direct location of the runLime.sh file and a launch command.
* Note: LW 5 & 4 will not connect without a fresh gnutella.net (Ezfile mirror) / gnutella.net (Mediafire mirror) / gnutella.net (4Shared) file so follow these instructions, ie: program must be closed when you replace the gnutella.net file at ~/.limewire/gnutella.net
. . ... alternatively, download the linux_lwSettings_Connect_LimeStart.tar.gz file which includes a connection file installer. Fresh connection installer can also be found here (combo LW & FW connection installer.)
* Note 2: LimeWire 5 versions will delete the gnutella connection file if the program has not been used in 28 or more days. You can use LimeStart which will automatically change the file's date before it launches LW.
To stop the Legal notice on start window, simply click My Files / Library tab or do a search & it will vanish. For LW 4, simply click on the white area or do a search. Now, instead of seeing the legal notice, you may instead receive a warning you are not connected to the internet. One reason will be because the link which previously hosted the legal notice or updates is now dead. What to take notice of is the color bars bottom-left of LW's window, green or blue is connected, grey or red is not connected to the network. sample image
* For anybody whom is interested, you can add a security to help block out spam. Details here: Security packages for LimeWire (help block out the spam and evil hosts). You can at least try one of them to see if it is helpful for you. Nobody is pretending they will block out all spam but certainly greatly reduce it, and even better it will reduce chances of you connecting directly to known spam/hostile hosts. There's different types of spammers and hostile hosts. Some you may not be aware of due to their approaches. For example, some will ping your client to reduce your program's abilities at downloading, uploading, searching and even connections. At worst the ping attacks will make you lose internet connection. Some will browse you as soon as and every time you log into the network. Then some may browse you robotically every 10-15 minutes for hours on end without downloading from you. Then there's some whom will attempt to fill and constrain your upload slots. This is a well known approach of theirs for many years. They will normally either choose your largest files to download all at once or your largest collection of files. These are all what I would refer to as hostiles. Spammers are another category of hostile host.
LW 5.6.0 was a Beta released a couple months before 5.5.10, it did include some additions which had not yet made it into the mainstream program. For those who wish to use it, . . . LW 5.6.0.deb (Released 20 April 2010.) . . . LW 5.6.1.deb (Released 10 May 2010.)
(these 5.6 versions are safe to use! But you will need a fresh Gnutella.net file to connect with.)
LimeWireLinux Lightweight.deb (18 May 2010) . . (was a version built to use less computer resources than regular LW but same level ability.)
(Details about these beta versions will be coming soon; see changelog above; they were released between mid April to mid May 2010. * We are seeking more betas for those who are interested. *** If you have any other Prototype beta versions, please contact either Birdy or myself so we can add them to this page.)
LimeWirePortable_220.127.116.11.paf.exe (9 December 2009) . (No installation necessary, can use on any portable device that's connected to internet. eg: flash drive, external HDD, etc. I was told by a non-involved LW-dev the Portable was based on LW version 5.3, but might actually have been based on an earlier version judging by its looks; looks more like version 5.0 or 5.1.)
LimeWire Changelog link
LimeWire 4 versions: . . . . . (GoogleDrive Mirror download option for all versions)
LimeWireLinux 4.18.8.deb (19 September 2008. Debian, Ubuntu)
LimeWireOther 4.18.8.zip (OS/2, Solaris, Linux)
LimeWireLinux 4.16.7.deb (22 April 2008.)
LimeWireLinux 4.16.6.deb (10 February 2008.)
LimeWireOther 4.16.6.zip (OS/2, Solaris, Linux)
LimeWireLinux 4.14.10.deb (19 September 2007.) . . [LW v4.14+ supported both DHT and TLS if host is not firewalled. 4.14 to 4.16 TLS could affect ability to connect well.]
linux_lw4_Settings_Connect.tar.gz :- MediaFire Mirror, . . 4Shared Mirror . . . (LW 4 settings are a little different to LW 5, thus the different install option. Includes connection file, search spam filters, optional LW security blocks.)
* Linux LimeWire 4 SKINS here or also a 4Shared download folder link near top of page.
More Linux LW installers can be found at Afterdawn. Exact dates of version releases may not be 100% accurate, there may be up to a 5 day variation of accuracy.
Do not disable file-sharing, do not 'freeload', if nobody were sharing files, you know of course there would be no files to download. If you are a part of the file-sharing community, then share your part and be a respected member of the file-sharing community. Do you never return what you borrow from your friends? Do you never return your partner's kisses and attention? File-sharing can even be a passion!
Last edited by Lord of the Rings; May 14th, 2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added WireShare details
Find, Create, & Publish Open Source Software for free.
Hi! You have an update available.
Released on 2015-08-01
Download Latest Version
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
The WireShare installers are not packaged with any 3rd party junkware or anything else.
Just a note about which source you choose to download from: a few of the file-hosting sites have 3rd party advertisers that are misleading. 4Shared is the worst of these with a download button that is not the genuine file & leads to a malware file. The proper download button is below that button. At present there is only one remaining 4Shared option for Windows. The other 4Shared downloads were removed before this last WS update. Despite a discussion with 4Shared support 8 to 9 months ago about this issue, they have declined to disallow such deceptive 'low-life' advertisements or even reformat their positioning on the download page.
If in doubt, download from SourceForge.
If you are subscribed to the WS SourceForge updates then you will be 100% fine.